Product Names: Cisco C1921 Modular Router
Cisco® 1900 Series Integrated Services Routers (ISRs) build on 25 years of Cisco innovation and product leadership. The new platforms are architected to enable the next phase of branch-office evolution, providing
rich-media collaboration to the branch office while maximizing operational cost savings. The Cisco Integrated Services Routers Generation 2 (ISR G2) platforms are future-enabled with multicore CPUs, Gigabit Ethernet switching with enhanced Power over Ethernet (PoE), and new energy monitoring and control capabilities that enhance overall system performance. Additionally, a new Cisco IOS® Software Universal image enables you to decouple the deployment of hardware and software, providing a stable technology foundation that can quickly adapt to evolving network requirements. Overall, the Cisco 1900 Series offers exceptional Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) savings and network agility through the intelligent integration of market-leading security, unified communications, wireless, and application services.
The Cisco C1921 Modular Router builds on the best-in-class offering of the Cisco 1841 Integrated Services Routers. All Cisco 1900 Series Integrated Services Routers offer embedded hardware encryption acceleration, optional firewall, intrusion prevention, and advanced security services. In addition, the platforms support the industry’s widest range of wired and wireless connectivity options such as Serial, T1/E1, xDSL, Gigabit Ethernet, and Third-Generation (3G) wireless (Figure 1).
Key Business Benefits
Cisco ISR G2 routers provide superior services integration and agility. Designed for scalability, the modular architecture of these platforms enables you to grow and adapt with your business needs. Table 1 lists the business benefits of the Cisco 1900.
Table 1. Key Features and Benefits of the Cisco 1921 Integrated Services Router
|Service integration||● The Cisco 1921 offers increased levels of services integration with data, security, wireless, and mobility services, enabling greater efficiencies and cost savings.|
|Services on demand||● A single Cisco IOS Software Universal image is installed on each ISR G2. The Universal image contains all of the Cisco IOS Software technology sets that can be activated with a software license, allowing your business to quickly deploy advanced features without downloading a new Cisco IOS Software image. Additionally, larger default memory is included to support the new capabilities.|
|High performance with integrated services||● The Cisco 1900 Series enables deployment in high-speed WAN environments with concurrent services enabled up to 15 Mbps.|
|Network agility||● Designed to address customer business requirements, the Cisco 1921 with the modular architecture offers a performance range of modular interfaces and services as your network needs grow.
● Modular interfaces offer increased bandwidth, a diversity of connection options, and network resiliency.
|Energy efficiency||● The Cisco 1921 architecture provides energy-savings features that include the following:
◦ The Cisco 1900 Series offers intelligent power management and allows you to control power to the modules based on the time of day. Cisco EnergyWise technology will be supported in the future.
◦ Services integration and modularity on a single platform performing multiple functions optimizes raw-materials consumption and energy usage.
◦ Platform flexibility and ongoing development of both hardware and software capabilities lead to a longer product lifecycle, lowering all aspects of the TCO, including materials and energy use.
◦ High-efficiency power supplies are provided with each platform.
◦ DC Power option available (CISCO1921DC/K9).
|Investment protection||● The Cisco 1921 maximizes investment protection:
◦ Reuse of a broad array of existing modules supported on the original ISRs provides a lower TCO.
◦ A rich set of Cisco IOS Software features is carried forward from the original ISRs and delivered in the Universal image.
◦ This router gives you the flexibility to grow as your business needs evolve.
Architecture and Modularity
The Cisco 1921 is architected to meet the application demands of today’s branch offices with design flexibility for future applications. The modular architecture is designed to support expanding customer requirements, increased bandwidth, and fully integrated power distribution to modules supporting 802.3af PoE and Cisco Enhanced PoE (ePoE). Table 2 lists the architectural features and benefits of the Cisco 1921.